Dear GHF has had a number of inquiries about related subjects. We’re interested in learning whether this is a common concern within the community.
If you are the parent of a gifted or twice exceptional (2e) child, have you ever worried that your child’s behavior would be misconstrued as either threatening to others or that others would be concerned about abuse or neglect (and possibly report you to authorities)?
- Your child overheard making a joke about explosions… in an airport
- A child having a meltdown who requires physical comfort or removal
- A child with sensory difficulties who looks “unkempt” to others, or is unable to comply with a dress code
- Playing with sticks as “weapons” in a zero tolerance environment
- Overheard talking about a book or movie that others may feel is “too mature” for them
We’d like to hear your input and your stories! If you prefer to remain anonymous, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
~ Corin & Mika